What is ParentsNext
ParentsNext is a government pre-employment program that supports parents and carers who receive Parenting Payments as they navigate and prepare for the next stage in their career or education.
Our ParentsNext service helps you identify your goals – whether they’re family-focused or career-driven – and provides you with or helps you access the resources you need to work towards, and ultimately achieve, those goals.
Keep in mind that you don’t have to look for work, however, if your goal is to find suitable employment, we will help you do so.
What can ParentsNext help with?
At Bamara, we understand that everything you do is for your kids but balancing work and family life can be difficult. ParentsNext provides support and resources to help you build your confidence and skills.
Our ParentsNext team can support you in a number of ways, such as:
- Finding a course, training, work experience or further education.
- Job searching (if finding work is one of your goals).
- Writing resumes and practicing for job interviews.
- Accessing any additional funding or assistance available to you.
- Helping you with any transport or housing needs.
We also help you access free local activities and support services, such as:
- personal or financial counselling,
- domestic and family violence services,
- parents groups or parenting courses,
- and child care.
Before you start, your Bamara Support Mentor will work with you to create a plan that’s tailored to you and your goals, finding the best and most realistic way to achieve them.
How does ParentsNext Work?
You’ll be matched with a Support Mentor who will help you work through the four key elements of ParentsNext:
- Participation plan: Create and agree to a Participation Plan that includes your goals, planned training and activities, appointments and any other key requirements
- Appointments: Attend appointments with us, at least once every 3 months to start with
- Activities: Choose activities that align with your goals and are a suitable fit for you and your circumstances
- Reporting: Any required reporting – whether in be income, activity attendance, or other requirements in your Participation Plan
We’re here to support you throughout your ParentsNext journey and ensure you’ll be equipped with the right information and resources every step of the way.
Why opt for ParentsNext with Bamara?
At Bamara, we understand that everything you do is for your kids but balancing work and family life can be difficult.
Bamara is a local organisation made up of team members who connect with and understand the uniqueness of the local community.
We appropriately tailor our support to align with the local culture, lifestyle, experiences, strengths and challenges.
Our team will get to know you and your individual needs to find the best way to support you. Our goal is to help you succeed and achieve your goals.
Who is eligible for ParentsNext?
You’re eligible for ParentsNext if you meet any of the eligibility criteria:
- have been receiving Parenting Payment (partnered or single) continuously and not engaged in work in the last six months
- have a youngest child who is at least nine months and under six years of age
- are under 55 years of age; and
- are under 22 years of age and have not completed the final year of school (or equivalent level of education) or
- are 22 years of age or over; have not completed the final year of school (or equivalent level of education); and have been receiving income support continuously for more than two years or
- have completed their final year of school and been receiving income support continuously for more than four years.*
If you qualify for ParentsNext, Centrelink will contact you and recommend providers, such as us. However, you can also volunteer for ParentsNext if you receive any parenting payment with a child under six years of age.
Whether it’s compulsory or voluntary participation, we’d love to hear from you to chat about how we can support your work, life and family goals.
What is the ParentsNext eligibility assessment?
The ParentsNext eligibility is determined on the criteria mentioned above. You will not have to undergo an assessment.
Find a ParentsNext Service Location near you
Transferring to Bamara ParentsNext
You can change ParentsNext providers if you feel another provider would be better suited to you and your goals.
If you’re currently with another provider and would like to transfer to ParentsNext with Bamara, please get in touch with us either via the form or call 1300 012 476.
Alternatively, you can contact the National Customer Service Line on 1800 805 260 (free call from landlines) and they’ll help you change providers.
Interested in joining Parentsnext with Bamara?
Translation services are available if you would like some help speaking or understanding English. Call the Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450 for the cost of a local call. Ask them to call the National Customer Service Line.